Extended Internet of Things is a comprehensive umbrella term that involves all physical systems connected to the Internet. It comprises IIoT (Industrial Internet of Things), operational technology, connected medical devices, ICS (industrial control systems), and other Internet of Things devices in an organization.
Unlike the conventional IoT, whose focus is connecting devices and collecting data, XIoT’s approach is more holistic- integrating several technologies and broadening connectivity to unusual spaces.
Discussed below is what you need to know about the extended Internet of Things (XIoT).
Benefits of XIoT
Adopting XIoT offers limitless possibilities and benefits across various industries, including:
● Data-based decision-making: The XIoT devices provide businesses with invaluable insights into product performance, core operational metrics, and more. With XIoT, teams can work from similar shared data sets, easing collaboration. It also lets them review data much faster than ever. This XIoT’s data based outlook promotes informed decision-making, resulting in improved outcomes and techniques
● Enhanced customer experience: Extended IoT fuels customized, responsive experiences. For instance, XIoT devices can provide personalized product recommendations and optimize store layouts in retail based on client behavior, leading to more sales and enhanced customer satisfaction
● Better efficiency: Extended Internet of Things facilitates automation, lowering the possibility of errors and the need for human intervention. With XIoT solutions, businesses can get real-time insights from all corners, regardless of what they’re automating. This allows them to track, control, and maximize operations while improving efficiencies in all workflows
● Higher employee productivity: XIoT enables companies to simplify and streamline procedures, helping free employee time so they can concentrate on more valuable tasks
● Cost cutting: Extended IoT solutions usually provide endless opportunities for organizations to save money. For instance, companies can foresee equipment failures thanks to proactive maintenance, which helps them determine when upkeep is required. This eliminates the risk of costly repairs and downtime
Challenges associated with XIoT adoption
Although Extended Internet of Things is quite valuable for businesses, it comes with several challenges, including:
● Security: XIoT increases connectivity, which comes with a higher risk of data breaches and cyberattacks. As such, organizations should implement solid security measures to safeguard sensitive information while ensuring privacy
● Scalability: As more devices get connected, scalability becomes a major concern. To address this problem, network capacity, data processing capabilities, and infrastructure should be able to deal with the expanding demand for XIoT solutions
● Regulatory challenges: Extended IoT raises concerns and questions about data ownership, privacy, and consent. To address these issues and ensure the ethical and responsible use of data, transparent regulations, and policies must be put in place
XIoT application cases
❖ Healthcare transformation
Extended IoT is changing the healthcare sector by creating interconnected systems that promote the smooth, real-time flow of patient details between e-health records, wearable devices, and healthcare professionals. This provides many benefits. For instance, the ability to securely share medical information among healthcare providers cultivates a collaborative outlook on patient care.
XIoT enables predictive maintenance in manufacturing, lowering downtime and the associated operational costs . It promotes the real-time tracking of machine performance, gathering and reviewing data to gain insights that enable manufacturers to spot problems before they cause failures or downtimes.
The future of XIoT
Thanks to the continuing advancements in AI, blockchain, and IoT, XIoT will keep evolving. This will result in XIoT devices’ capacity to handle significant amounts of data in real-time while driving smart insights to become more defined.
XIoT provides limitless potential for business across various industries. Understanding what you need to know about XIoT before adopting it can help determine if it’s worth trying.