Getting skype working on CentOS 6.5 has been a daunting job for lot of system administrators. Usually I found system administrators posting this query in facebook and other Linux groups. This lead me to try out Skype on one of the available CentOS 6.5 machine. This guide should work for RHEL and latest Fedora versions too.
Important Note published by CentOS Team:
"...Starting with Aug 4th 2014, no version of Skype older than 4.3 works due to the changes that were implemented in the authentication mechanism. Any attempt to use older versions lead to an error message similar to "Cannot contact server" ( the exact message varies depending on the version that was used )..."
1. Login to CentOS 6.5 machine
2. Update the EPEL repository:
3. Ensure that the latest epel release is installed as shown below:
4. Download the skype 4.3 from skype website and unzip it under /usr/src folder:
5. Rename the unzip to skype:
6. Create the below file:
7. Modify the permission of the file as instructed:
8. Provide the appropriate links:
9. Ensure that these 32 bit packages are installed:( Please note that the skype installation on CentOS and Ubuntu OS ususally fails due to 32 bit packages compatibility.
10. Skype is ready now to be run . You can run skype commandline directly or open it through the GUI if you are not using it through putty:
Still finding difficulty in getting the skype working, post your equiry at https://collabnix.com/forum